Top 5 of 2013: The MISSES


As part of Gillians Top 5 of 2013 series, I bring you the MISSES. You can go back here for the happier times of 2013 with the Hits or head on over to Gillians blog to see who else is participating and read up on their reflections. So, without further ado... the Misses.
  1. The Laurel
I was just too keen to make this dress. I bought the fabric at La Droguerie in Strasbourg and after being on holidays for 6 weeks was keen to get on with a sewing project. Perhaps too keen?  I rushed it so inserted the bib pretty poorly. And those bust darts were drafted so high so that even though I adjusted them with the original make,  after the first and only wear I adjusted them again. Sadly on ironing my now perfectly positioned bust darts I burnt the fabric. Fail!

2. Tania Culottes
These are really cute, but they aren’t my style. I wore them a few times, but I think if I added another few inches onto the length I’d wear them more. This was the same corduroy from France as the Laurel - it wasn’t a successful purchase was it?!

3. Invisible Zips
I had some problems with invisible zips this year. I installed a lot so I suppose I shouldn’t be too hard on myself but I was pretty disappointed with the insertion on this O’keefe skirt (though I still wear it - the fabric is too good not to wear) and just last weekend the invisible zip on my Colette Iris shorts broke. As these shorts  are in constant rotation and I was madly flapping around in a pre Christmas rush, I tookthem to one of those alteration places for them to fix in the hour. They did... but they machine stitched the waist band on and across in the most messy way that I ended up having to unpick and hand sew the waist band back in place as per the rest of the band. Should have just done it myself.

4. The Rigel Bomber
Untitled
This year I only abandoned one project. This one. I really want to make this. I mean really really. But I just didn’t get the pockets right and for neatness I think it needs to lined... and I’m not a good enough sewer to work that out by myself.. so I’ll just wait around until I make up the Ninot jacket with lining or until there is a R ... bomber sewalong..

5. Attempt 1 of the top for my sewing dare

IMG_4528
The top: Poorly executed, wrong pattern, not my style. Fail! This top does not ever get worn.
My final version I adore and love the whole outfit so all was not lost.  And I really love the skirt.

My Bel Rowley skirt just missed out on making the top 5. I had a massive screw up with the lining. I still wear it but a big lesson on inserting lining.


18 comments:

  1. I love the fabric for you O'Keefe skirt - I have the same in my stash, and literally only cut it yesterday to make my first Rigel bomber using it....am hoping the fabric is thick enough to work without a lining, although I have had the same thoughts as you about this. Thanks for sharing! I also really really really love that sequin skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bummer the laurel didn't work out.i love the concept and the fabrics. It could be a super cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drafting a lining for the bomber jacket really shouldn't be difficult, especially since it's not that fitted! You just have to take the front and back pieces (and in this case raglan sleeves as well, I think), and copy them minus the facing pieces. On fitted jacket you have to add some ease in the back and armholes, but this method is pretty foolproof on a looser shape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas - ruining holiday fabric - perhaps why I've been too terrified to cut up my London purchases! I've been dying to make the Rigel bomber... now you have got me curious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am gutted about the Laurel dress as I loved it when I saw it. I was interested in your comment about the alterations shop - I have wondered whether it is worth getting someone else to put a zip in as it is always the part I struggle with - sounds like I should perservere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad about the Laurel! I also thought it was a pretty cool dress - although maybe that corduroy was cursed! That has definitely happened to me before with other fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your Laurel and I thought you looked so stylish in your Tania Culottes. Not a bad thing when your misses look so fashionable! Too bad about the zips. Did you see Lori from Girls in the Garden's posts about the Rigel Bomber that she posted this month? She used a technique called the flatline method for her lining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Shar you are always too kind. I did like the Laurel - it had some fun features. Thanks also for the pointer to Lori - I hadn't seen that so it might be helpful. The bit I don't get is how you attach the ribbing.... but I am in the middle of Archer Appreciation and really need to finish it before the end of December - so my Rigel obsession has had to be put on ice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you'll nail the bomber. It is a great pattern but doesn't come with lining instructions which I feel is needed with my welt pockets, which is why it is now back in the queue. It requires a bit of extra thinking - plus I'm in the middle of an Archer I'm sure your holiday fabric isn't cursed so you should be ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for your tips on lining. I was wondering how it would attache to the ribbing - whether it would sew as if it is interlining or as lining. I might have to go snooping in shops .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Kat. Yes, I loved the concept of this Laurel and I really liked the orange lace around the bib. Too much rushing and not enough care :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure it won't need a lining. I made the tokyo jacket out of the same fabric and it works perfectly without lining.. although the way the pockets are put together for the Tokyo are very clean. This fabric is going to look amazing as a bomber!! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would personally sew the lining to the facing, attach it according to the instructions (as if it was just the facing) and then hand sew the bottom of the lining to the bottom seam of the jacket, right above the ribbing. If you make the lining pieces a tiny bit longer than the shell pieces but stich them down at the same seam allowance it will create a slight fold, hiding the seam (not sure if this makes sense)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always fantasized about using a 3rd party to insert zips too.. but now I've seen the result they didn't do much better than me - and it was messy ! It's ok for me to sew messy - but not when I'm paying someone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks so much!! I'll now be on the hunt for replacement fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sad about that gorgeous corduroy Laurel of yours. Boo Hoo

    ReplyDelete