Modern Love - Bendigo Art Gallery

I'm on the final stages (just the hem and the buttons) of my Archer shirt so I should be back soon with a finished make just in time to make Archer Appreciation month. Phew, it's been an epic make - but despite little glitches, I think it's going to turn out to be a wardrobe favourite.  But enough of that for now, I thought I'd pop in and show some photos from the Modern Love exhibtion at Bendigo Art Gallery, which is showcasing fashion objects from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising.

We were staying just an hour away from Bendigo in Shepparton for Christmas so I managed to convince Ben and the boys and my sister and her family to drive there on Christmas eve to see the exhibition.

This is a little write up from the Modern Love website:

Modern Love focuses on approximately 60 works from the post-punk period from the 1980s to the present day from this one unique collection.  It reflects fashion in our contemporary lives with works ranging from haute couture designs such as a museum commissioned gown by Alexander McQueen through to t-shirts and Adidas high top runners.
Designers include Thom Browne, Chanel, Comme des Garçons, Dior, Ferragamo, Tom Ford, Jean Paul Gaultier, Carolina Herrera, Betsey Johnson, Patrick Kelly, Helmut Lang, Monique Lhuillier, Louboutin, Alexander McQueen, Issey Miyake, Moschino, Thierry Mugler, Hiroaki Ohya, Zac Posen, Prada, Christian Francis Roth, Ralph Rucci, Valentino, Versace, Vivienne Westwood, YSL and more.
A lot of sewers have already been and there are great write-ups from, among others CarolynMaria and especially TJ who was able to preview a number of the dresses.

We all have different favourites so it really is worth checking out their posts, or even better just get down to Bendigo Art Gallery and see it.  Bendigo is the exclusive venue for the exhibition in Australia and it's on until the 2 February so if you can get there do.  The exhibition is perfectly put together with a fantastic toe tapping sound track jam packed of plenty of 80s and 90s hits.  The huge projector which shows excerpts of the runway shows for each item was mesmorising and I could have lounged on those big round poufs/ottomans for hours. Afterwards I had to go back and re look at the items after seeing them on the catwalk (especially the Chanel jacket!!).

Photography is allowed, no flash, so the quality of the photos isn't perfect and I haven't included all my favourites just a couple.

I really loved the whole exhibition and just felt so lucky to have got down there.  Here are just a couple of my favourites:

1. Chloe. Evening ensemble Spring/Summer 1983




 2. Caroline Herrera 2003


3. Alexander McQueen 





 4 Valentino 2000 Spring/Summer.


8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made it! I loved the Chloe dress too, that beading was divine! And the peacock dress. Amazing craftsmanship! How funny, I grew up in Mooroopna, what a blast from the past - haven't been back for at least 15 years I reckon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, I'll have to get there! If you're ever down visiting them again, let me know, maybe we could meet up, Shepp is my "big" shopping town, only 30 mins away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so glad you made it to the exhibition Kirsty, it is such a wonderful and inspiring selection! I liked looking at your pictures, took me right back there... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mooroopna!? That is funny - we drive through there all the time to my brothers property. The exhibition was lovely wasn't it - Bendigo is really doing great things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I must. Where abouts are you? My brother has a property near Merrigum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon as I saw that you got there all the way from WA I knew that the minuscule hour drive on Christmas eve was completely do-able. I just loved it and felt the same revisiting your post about the exhibition the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shell from SewEnSowJanuary 2, 2014 at 9:44 AM

    We're out the other direction, through Shepparton, Euroa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG this looks so amazing... god I love some of those dresses (80s tragic!).

    ReplyDelete