FINISHED! Isle of Wight Archer

Just in the nick of time, I finish my Archer for Archer Appreciation month.
I made it up in new season (Spring Summer 14) Liberty of London, Isle of Wight C bought from Tessuti.  Here's some information on the print.

Isle of Wight C Tana Lawn from the Gallery of Prints collection by Liberty Art Fabrics.

Created in-house, using washes of ink and Rotring pen, the Isle of Wight fabric design was inspired by the vintage-style memorabilia found in the fourth floor’s RE concession room. 

The Fourth Floor fabric story celebrates Liberty’s interior decoration floor. Each design pays homage to a different area or department, taking on the intrinsic mood of each individual space. 

Despite being a lover of print (understatement :)) and really loving this print ( it has been the one that stuck me first out of all the new season fabrics) I was a bit worried about how 'full on' it would look. I love it though. I think the Archer is the perfect pattern for it, taking it out of the too cutesy realm that it could have easily fallen into with a different pattern.  On the other hand I don't really consider myself a button down shirt kind of gal but it feels so me in this fabric. I'm also happy for the camouflage that the fabric provided to some dodgy stitching in places.
I originally did a quick and dirty muslin of a size 4 but wanted it to be slightly more tailored than the 4, so decided to just cut the 2.  I think it might still be a bit big across the shoulders but only marginally.  I also took an inch off the length and off the sleeves.  Very simple adjustments have rendered the fit pretty great.

I barely looked at the paper pattern, but rather followed along with the Jen's sewalong. It was great and helpful and kept me going. If you remember I had a plan for this shirt. Yes, it felt like a bit of a marathon, but the sewalong helped enormously.
The most annoying thing I did was cut the collar upside down so now the little swimmers are upside down.  I didn't fix it because it's not such a big deal but urrgh.
I like it all buttoned up and neat - it seems more me - in an uptight way (by the way it is all even at the bottom but clearly I don't stand evenly and the shirt is a little wrinkled).

I think this shirt will be a real work horse. I tried it on yesterday all tucked into my work skirt and it looks great.
This is my third 'shirt' for 2013, the drop waist and Cami before it.  I still struggled a bit with the collar, but this one was better, although after I had inserted AND top stitched I decided that it wasn't neat enough so tried to reinsert... with barely a 1/8" seam allowance in there.  Not smart and of course I didn't make it any neater!  I'm confident I'm going to nail my next effort. And there will be.

Thanks Jen for the pattern and all the help in the sewalong. You deserve all the love out there for Archer Appreciation month.

38 comments:

  1. This looks so great Kirsty! I love that liberty fabric and it looks like a great fit! I'm hoping I can get an Archer made in 2014 so the sewalong posts will be really useful I'm sure. You really are the boss of Liberty fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this!! Your Liberty makes always send me to the Shaukat page with an itchy credit card! I think I'm also going to try the Archer in a smaller size - mine are very generous on me & I like this slimmer fit. Have a great New Years Eve. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect on you. I just pick up some liberty remnants at the Clegs sale but not enough to make an Archer...Not that it would look anywhere as good as yours if I did make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, and a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this looks on you! The color and print are perfect! I have this pattern, but I've been having such an issue with the buttonhole function on my machine that I'm afraid it would get ruined. Way to finish up 2013 - have a happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so beautiful! I have a serious case of the wantsies right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Kirsty! The print works beautifully. Now if I'd only used this pattern to make the most of my Tiny Towns fabric it may have been a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great, such cute fabric! I think you need to knit a cute little pink or black vest or jumper to wear over the top! Every time I see your liberty makes it reminds me I HAVE to make up my tiny dancer fabric instantly if not sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Archer, Kirsty! The colors of this print are perfect for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it looks so good buttoned up! I'm so glad that you are now on the Archer train, they are very addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admit that I can feel the addition rising.. because I so want to sew it better than the last :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Morgan! I was dubious about it being too light but I think it works.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, that is such a sweet idea. Oh yes, you must sew up your tiny dancer fabric so that you can now get onto the new season prints!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jillian, I do love your tiny towns shirt.. but I did see it was in your misses. The Archer is a lovely put together shirt with great support from Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The button hole function on my machine is so dodgey as well. I really would like to get another machine for a beautiful button hole finish, but I probably won't just yet. Have a really lovely NY eve and see you in 2014 for lots of great sewing x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Helen, but the print hides all manner of little glitches. I hope you have enough liberty to make something lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was just on there last night looking at cord for another attempt at the Rigel bomber, but I got very lucky with fabric vouchers or Christmas so just need to hold tight and calm down on the Shaukat page. I was surprised at the generous fit so was glad I went down in size. Have a great NY eve as well and happy sewing in 2014 xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much Kathryn! Those posts are incredibly helpful - I needed all the help I could get!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great shirt Kirst!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just say the swimmers on the collar are diving!!! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. For someone who isn't "a button down shirt kind of gal", you wear them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this make! The print is amazing & I think works so well with this great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it! The print and colour are so pretty and the shirt fits so well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy New Year Kirsty! I wish the best for 2014 with a lot more of your amazing sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy new year Kirsty, and what a gorgeous print! The fit looks great and I imagine this feels lovely on :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Angela - your teacher was right! Busy print is far less stressful :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Erin. The print is pretty isn't it. I worried it might be 'too' pretty but I think it looks fine.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bonne Annee Pauline! I hope that 2014 is full of lovely makes for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Gabrielle - it definitely feels lovely on :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely shirt! No one will ever notice the upside down swimmers on the collar. That's the sort of mistake I would make too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this so much! What amazing fabric, the shirt is the perfect pattern, as you say it tones down the prettiness. I need to make an Archer!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very cool fabric and beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete