FINISHED! Drape Drape 2 dress - another attempt

After my first failure with this dress, I tried it again with some fabric I bought at the Addicted to Fabric sale a couple of weeks ago. I had grommets put into my ears yesterday (yes, it does appear to be one of those years!) but as I didn't have to be at the hospital until after 3, I managed to cut this dress out while waiting and trying not to think of food and drink. I then sewed it up this morning.
This time, I added the extra strip onto the pattern and because the material was wide enough to cope with the wide one piece pattern, the dress fits much more comfortably.  This time around, I am even proud of my neck -  I'm still not sure whether I did it the correct way. It sits pretty nicely so doesn't matter.
I am disappointed with the left shoulder.  Stretch patterns always seem to make you sew one shoulder and then put the neck on and then sew up the other shoulder but I find this so messy.  I just can't seem to get it to look nice - my overlocking is always too thick.  Anyway, I've made a note not to sew both shoulders up and then put the neck on (I find the same problem with putting the arm hole bindings on and them).  Other than that the dress is good.  Ben thinks it looks nice and it probably does.  But you know, it's just not me. Apart from some messy seams, it's a nice dress, but I don't feel it when I wear it.  In fact, I think I've realised today that I'm just not that into stretch on me and this style, while I love it, just isn't me. Time to go back to some wovens for a while... I've been making too many 'blah' things lately.
UntitledUntitled
On another note, We went to see Rise of the Guardians today (which was lovely) and I wore my Wiksten tank and some new pants I got on sale yesterday.  Now THIS outfit makes me happy.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I really love it! Especially in that stripey fabric. Pity you're not feeling it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much ! Yes, I do like the dress, just not on me unfortuately :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! But if you don't feel like you're totally rocking it then retire the pattern. Sewing time is too precious to waste on meh projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister tried the dress on and she likes it so, yay it gets a loving home. Pattern retired. For now :) You are so right about sewing time being too precious..

    ReplyDelete