FINISHED! semi sampler holiday scarf

Last night I finished the scarf that I have been knitting with the alpaca wool bought from La Droguerie on and off for the last two weeks.  Phew!
Untitled
I mentioned that I had originally thought that I would do a bit of a sampler scarf to try out new stitches but in the end I only had courage for three basic stitches: moss, stockinette and plain knit. Where I did stockinette stitch I did 4 knit stitches at the beginning and end of each row to help the scarf with not rolling too much. It still rolls!I used 3.5 needles and cast on 43 stitches.  It is about 19cm in width when not rolled but of course the sides roll to a fraction of that.  It is about 88cm in length.
Untitled 
I also did a button hole, mainly for practice, but also as a 'design feature' so that the scarf wouldn't need to be as long and could be threaded through, with the scarf staying nicely in place.  Ben, on constant lookout for choking hazards thinks the hole and this feature is a problem.  Me, I just think the hole is badly done.  But it is there now.

It was originally made for my little one Elliot, but he thinks the Alpaca it's too itchy.
Untitled
Oliver kindly 'modelled' it for a bit ....
UntitledUntitled
and even wore it around outside for about 20 minutes.  I think I can call this a success.
Untitled
BTW: The extremely cool tshirt Oliver is wearing is from Engram Clothing on Etsy.

9 comments:

  1. I was wondering what was the hole for! I´m so behind with what´s in!. It must be great to knit with REAL wool! And the colours are great. You are a brave woman. I gave knitting a go but must say I didn´t have the courage to make something wearable

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the design feature. Elliot's face is priceless (I've seen that face on my own child at times)! That is a cool t-shirt on Oliver - kind of E.T. mixed with Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the vote Shar. Yes, I do love that tshirt. It reminds me of ET too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Merche. I think this is about as wearable as it gets for me! Just under 2 more weeks on holiday and wondering what to do next.. not sure I can face more knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's a shame it's itchy, because the colours are really lovely - might it soften with washing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks absolutely terrific, in gorgeous colours. It's a pity it's scratchy, maybe washing in fabric softener might help? I love how it looks with the orange jacket he is wearing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Carolyn. I think it will be better with a bit of softener.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noooo! It can't be itchy when it is that rad! I concur with the softener- let's see what miracles can happen. And best shirt ever!

    ReplyDelete