Trip Planning

Today I was off work with one of the boys so spent a little bit of time planning the clothes I would pack for our trip to France next week .I've always loved Carolyn's posts about what she takes on holidays so thought I'd have a go. This isn't the final list - it's still a work in progress.
The first thing you'll notice from this photo is that there isn't really a lot here.  We try and get most of our things (for the four of us) into one and a bit suitcases as we always end up bringing stuff back so need the room. The other thing is that this time we are also going ski-ing so one whole suitcase will be packed with ski stuff.

At home with sick boy so may as well fix some dodgey shirringI haven't photographed any of the ski specific clothes and I've left out underwear. Have I got all the bases covered?  I'm assuming I'll cover off on the cold by wearing my big coat but may need to put in another smaller jacket for less cold days.  I still love stripes with tartan hence I'm taking my tartan scarf.

One good thing was that doing this planning exercise forced me into fixing the dodgy shirring I had done on this top.

I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of handmade in this collection.  Most of the tops are handmade and one jumper but nothing else.  I suppose almost all of the outfits here will include at least one handmade item so I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

The other thing I've been thinking about is what on earth am I going to do without my sewing machine for 5 weeks?  I suspect I will be putting a lot of ideas up on my sewing plans page!

I guess I'll keep trying to knit. I have another baby boy present I could make, so thought I'd try these cute little baby leg warmers from purlbee.  The thing is that I have to use double pointed needles to do it.   EEEEEEEEEK,  They look so menacing.  Anyway, I'm going to try and make these leg warmers and also make a little kerchief using the Liberty of London Tom's Jets fabric in the background which I've had for ages but have never done anything with it. Probably when I get back.   First I will need to master those double points.  Oh, and I'm assuming that I will be able to take them on an airplane???

14 comments:

  1. Very nice Kirsty! I love seeing how you plan the suitcase thing, because I´m the kind that wants to take everything along...just in case, and always use just 5 or 6 things in the end. And I still love tartan and stripes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you! And knitting is definitely the best holiday option (together with a great book, of course). If you take a direct flight, you should be able to knit on the plane. But I suggest you to check with the airline, as some of them don't allow knitting.

    P.S. From my personal experience, I can tell that usually for a two-week trip I pack 1 pair of jeans, 1 skirt, 1 dress and 5 t-shirts. So your list looks almost ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a terrible over-packer and would probably pack the the same amount you have for 5 weeks if I was only taking a 3-day trip! I think you have a very good percentage of handmades. It looks like you've got everything well coordinated and in advance too. I'm usually still figuring it all out late the night before a trip. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rad core wardrobe here! Loving the colour palette as well. Ohh, that Purl Bee pattern is all kinds of radness :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Amanda! Everyone should have leg warmers including baby boys. Hope your foot is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still thinking of more shoes...but they will be the one item I'll probably splurge on there. The funny thing about packing is that you almost take the same amount for 5 days as for 5 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know I'm on track. Thanks for the knitting advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh if I could I would be taking ALOT more. It pains me to leave some of my blouses and shoes at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The plane outfit is a tricky one I always want to look nice at the airport for some reason but you also have to be practical. So no tracky dacks but no fitted dresses either. Argh! Let me know what you decide on :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It like I think I'm going to get upgraded just because I've made an effort! Well you never know...I'm thinking my spotty trousers and briar jumper. Normally I'd not go tight jeans but my spotty ones are quite loose.. Will see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful trip Kirsty! I'm sure you'll be too busy to miss your sewing machine too much! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Firstly, thank you for the mention :)
    You travel wardrobe looks really good, so compact. Can't wait to see the final decision!
    I'm envious you are going skiing, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time. Also, I've never had any problems with those short skinny double ended bamboo needles on a plane. I've always checked with the airline beforehand (well worth it, just to reassure yourself btw) and I've always received the advice, if it's no bigger than a ball point pen then it's OK. Just to be on the safe side though, I would never take them out and wave around in security!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Carolyn. I spent most of yesterday engrossed with those dpn so I do hope I get to take them! I'll have to go back to your Europe travel wardrobe and just compare to see if I've got everything covered. Of course I should probably now start worrying about everyone and everything else that I need to pack.

    ReplyDelete