Happy Go Lucky 2013!
Yay! My first finished item for the year!
I started these shorts a couple of days ago and then spent the morning finishing the waist and hemming them. It's nice to have done one piece of sewing during the Christmas holidays. I'm back to work tomorrow for a few weeks before I take some more time off towards the end of January. Aah summer holidays. Too short.
Pattern: Grainline Maritime Shorts
Material: Checked seersucker from the stash (bought at A2F in 2010 or 2011?) which I found during the post Christmas cleanup of my sewing cupboard. I was inspired and thought they would look good as shorts for me. I had previously made a pair of long pants for Oliver out of this material but he wore the bottom out of them sliding down a skater half pipe at a birthday party. Needless to say the pants never really recovered.
Size: 6 but next time I'll make a 4. They are way too big around the waist and even though I took them in a bit at the back they are still a loose. The ease will be ok if I ever wear them with stockings underneath. Which I might. But I won't be wearing them with anything tucked in.
Grainline pattern and I will definitely sew it again. The instructions and tutorial were great. There was quite a bit of basting going on with the zipper but I managed to get it in and overall the shorts are good.
The only real problem with the shorts is the matching of the material. I thought I did the pattern placement really carefully but obviously not. Not at all! There are three slight 'issues'.
2. The pockets, but hey, now you can see the pockets! and
3. The way I've cut the waistband onto the material. D'oh. It's curving the wrong way at the back. I probably could have fixed this, but I'm calling them design features. All of them. I'm not that worried about the back waistband because the shorts are too big to tuck anything into anyway, so no-one will know.
So I'm calling these a win!
Happy 2013 sewing!