Is it worth making sewing plans for the weekend?

I am hopeful of getting in a lot of good sewing this weekend, not confident, but hopeful.  October is school fete(s) month so I always find my selfish sewing falls by the way side as I open the sweat shop so I need to get cracking in September.

Untitled
Yes there was supposed to be snow on those hills!
We were away last weekend 'skiing' - partly to ski and partly to get away from the new floor boards that were being layed in our house, so no sewing was done. The snow wasn't great after an unseasonably warm spell in the mountains but we did get two days in, but had to go up high, balancing ski's in our arms whild holding tightly onto the kids to do it.  I admire parents who seem to have it all together and who aren't stressed out on ski holidays.  It just seems to require such an enormous amount of organisation and energy and patience.  Especially as the 4 year old started skiing off piste down an embankment shouting out at me - "I just want to have fun Mummy... I just want to see what's down here". Fun?  Not so muc for me as I carried him back up an embankment. Sadly, I still need to do some organisation and putting away this weekend as much of our stuff is still in boxes squashed into the bedrooms and it also seems like a good time to sort throug some other boxes... or not.
Untitled
But here's one thing I'd really like to start on. Did you see the release of the Cami dress last week by Pauline Alice!?  It was fate as I had been searching out patterns for that exact same style of dress the night before  I bought some Liberty from Shaukat the other day so I'm just hoping that I will have enough of it. The pattern on the fabric turned out much smaller than I had anticipated so a dress like this might work well. There are so many cute versions from the pattern testers of this dress and Pauline Alice as been showcasing them. Otherwise I plan to head to my local haunt Addicted to Fabric to do a bit of stash creation.  I received an email the other day to say that until consumer confidence increases post the election they will be closed Sundays and Mondays.  Urgh.  Not Sundays!  I am determined to go in and spend tomorrow and single handedly (well not exactly but I hope to help) get them back on track. Anyway, I'm still tossing up whether to do a muslin or just launch right in to this dress.

In other news, Colette from Tessuti has been super helpful with my fabric for my sewing dare. I hope to have the fabric finalised next week (I was hoping to buy it today but got horribly caught up at work).  I still need to work out a pattern to use...
Untitled 
Oh and of course I still need to get on with those zipper purses from a couple of weeks ago... mmmm I wonder how much I'll actually get done.  Ok, off to see if I can squeeze the Cami onto my Liberty. What are you working on?

23 comments:

  1. How interesting to see the Cami pattern! I have plans in my head to make my own frankenpattern shirt dress similar to this with a shirt pattern i have that i love! I look forward to seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan ;) Activate this sewing machine! Monday is a public holiday in Japan, so I've got plenty of time for sewing: a knit maxi dress and a pair of trousers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress definitely will suit you and your fabric! I´m already looking forward to seing your version! Ha! Planning sewing, with kids you never know, right...And with life in general. I just sew when I can. I´m still making bags for school!
    Lots of love and happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sewing a dress for my mother. I'd rather be making fete wares. What did you buy from Shaukat????

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will look divine in Liberty. I'm looking forward to seeing your version :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued by the fabric for your zipper bag. I hope you get that one done - I want to see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a busy schedule! Sometimes just unpacking from vacation can be quite a chore but you have to reorganize the house on top of that! L would love the zipper purse fabric (she's obsessed with everything zebra).I hope you get some time to work on the Cami dress. It's a great style for you and I can't wait to see what liberty print you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really hope your plans to sew come to fruition! Life just gets so busy sometimes... Can't wait to see these finished projects. Have fun shopping for fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck, Kirsty! As unappealing as sorting through boxes (and putting things away in general) is, I've found it really clears my head to be creative when I can actually make myself do it :) Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh yes I can see you in the Cami - I hope the fabric for it works out ok! And that fabric for the pouches is great (Echino, no??). I think it's the season for sorting and nesting - I was hoping to get some sewing in this week, but we did so much spring/autumn cleaning I didn't have time - but strangely enough it's given me a new burst of enthusiasm. You never know, maybe all that unpacking and sorting will be reinvigorating??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jo. Yes, the fabric was a little bit of left over Ecino that I bought back in the early days of sewing. Sadly despite feeling like I had been super careful I stuffed the zipper pouch... I must have cut the zipper too short. Can't wait to see what your new enthusiasm brings!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you unpacked everything from your move yet? I bet it must be great to have your own sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Margo - yes just have to accept the busy times!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fingers crossed it works but I've decided to do a muslin just in case. The fabric is echino from a few years ago. Sadly I messed up the zipper purse (otherwise I'd send it over) so will now need to dig into the stash to see what else is there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gail - it was a failure. When I turned it out the right way I had a big gap on the sides - too short a zipper me thinks. I'm going to work on my muslin today I think but I won't let those zipper purses beat me. It looked so lovely apart from that (big) problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought some Joy and Sorrow. It's one of my favourite from the latest collection but I couldn't find it here. You made a dress out of the same I think? I really expected the birds to be bigger for some reason. Have fun with the dress for your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So true Merche so true!! Have fun with your bags xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Soooo jealous of your holiday Monday plans, they sound great. Can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was going to make the vogue one and bought the pattern and everything but I hope this will suit my style. Time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bummer! You do have to be very precise with the zipper size in that pattern. I'm still trying to figure out how to customize it for different length zippers, but I'm a math dunce!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you know I thought I was being soooo careful as well. Oh well, next time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's been amazing having my own space! I feel so spoiled. We are unpacked but I've found I get busy and little piles of stuff start building up in corners and on surfaces. And, I've got some boxes of stuff we never use that I'm trying to sort through. So those are my organization projects right now!

    ReplyDelete