FINISHED! A present for a generous cook

It was the birthday of a work friend this week.  To celebrate: a morning tea, a lunch and a present. Oh, but what to get, what to get?
IMG_4210
Well, the birthday girl is a generous cook who is well known for her care packages and her love of food.  So after a lot of deliberation, we thought what better present than a food carrier. Ok, so she usually carries her large bowls and containers in a big bag and she rarely arrives with just one, but let's just say that she just wanted to take one cake or pie or salad, well then what could be better than a food carrier. So instead of buying a present from the team I whipped one up.When searching out styles and tutorials on the internet, I found that they were mainly referred to as 'pie carriers' or 'casserole carriers' but I envision that this will be used for cakes or salads or just about anything.  There is a layer of 'insul bright' so it could keep food hot or cold. Or as someone said at work today, she could use it to carry and keep cold a 6 pack (of beer).  Well yes. She could.
IMG_4208
The pattern is based off the tutorial from Crafty Gemini. The pattern calls to quilt batting on both sides and then sew together.  I only had enough insul brite for one layer, so I just sandwiched it between layers and stitched around then turned out the correct way.  I didn't quilt or topstitch around the side. Probably a bit of laziness and not really knowing how my walking foot works.. or maybe it was just that I prefer the look of this fabric without either! If I do this again, I might bind the edges.
IMG_4213
I used some Nani Iro linen fabric and a heavy Japanese cotton/linen which had checks on one side and dots on the other. For this project I just used the dots. I've got a thing when I use Nani Iro fabric that I like to see the selvedge.  Its just one of those things. I also stamped a label on the front.
IMG_4212
So the way it works is so easy. You put the bowl under the long strap and then thread through the straps through the holes et voila! A very snazzy and unusual food carrier. I love this!  It turned out better than I expected and really sturdy. It is a bit lo fi and wobbly in parts or rustic was the word used at work today. But I still love it.  It was reasonably quick and easy so it might also make the list of items for the preschool fete.
Untitled
Oh I also made a little bit of birthday bunting to go with the most delicious cake from Flute.

16 comments:

  1. What a sweet gift! Will have to remember that idea! Cake looks delic too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh that's lovely! The Nani Iro is so beautiful, and the shape of the thing itself is really unusual. But also quite practical - I always wondered how you'd get a pie or something in and out of those things without making a mess. I'd be very flattered to be given one, however rustic! And might have got a step closer to making my own, too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful!! What a thoughtful friend you are! What great design to that carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very clever thing to give as present! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great gift and what a clever design. I love the combination of fabrics you've used! I don't think it looks rustic at all. Is the birthday bunting Liberty? I hope your friend had a birthday as lovely as your gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, what a very thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Shar! Yes the birthday bunting is made up from little bits of liberty. I think everyone in my team will now be subjected to birthday bunting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a fun design isn't it! I really didn't think that it would work but it is a great design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jo, they are so easy to make and really they fit all sorts of shapes and sizes in them. It was whipped up in no time. I think it might be a teacher gift this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sarah, that cake was unbelievable. I just wish I'd photographed it better. And yes, the gift is easy and unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a beautiful thoughtful gift! and a great idea for a cook. I really like that cute little label too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Carolyn. I must say that I thought myself very clever with the label :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received and I use it often. The birthday bunting still hangs on my desk. Thanks kb : you rock.

    ReplyDelete