Grainline Scout tee. It is a very stiff silk organza so I hoped that it would hang ok. Originally I was going to make it sheer and just wear camisoles underneath, but decided instead to underline it with some silk habutai which I bought on Sunday from Addicted to Fabric. I'm so glad I did. I had never underlined anything before and enjoyed the challenge and I love the result with the sheer sleeves and the lined bodice.
I have made a scout tee before, in lace and the fit was good so I didn't do a muslin. BUT in the underlined silk the fit was slightly different, quite different in fact. As I drafted 3/4 sheer sleeves by just lengthening the pattern and making them as wide as the fabric would allow, it was really obvious how badly they fell on my shoulders. They didn't sit at all well and I had a problem that the neck was too wide and was a bit gapey at the front.
The fit of the sleeves on the shoulders is still a little out but nothing to worry too much about. I thought maybe that I had put the sleeves in wrong, but unpicked one and reset it since taking some of these photos.
The cuffs are self drafted (just a rectangle!!), but I ummed and ahhed about whether or not I would interface or use the black silk. I did neither in the end and just folded over the fabric. I think it worked ok. The other times I've sewn with silk I just hemmed using a rolled hem. This time I wanted a more substantial hem so used the trick of sewing a line then turning it up, then sewing anothe line. I then just machine hemmed it so that it would sit better. I hand sewed binding (made from the spotted silk) on the neck and oh, yeah, all the seams are 'Frenched'.
So there you have it. My Valentino silk scout tee with a design feature. I wish I could do a repeat outfit to work this week because this top paired with my Miette skirt would be it!