FINISHED! An Oxford Blouse

When the Spring Summer 2015 Pictures and Conversations Liberty fabric collection was released I was immediately drawn to the garish colours of Oxford A.  I then proceeded to go on holidays and delay any Liberty fabric buying until I returned. Several months passed and I still hadn't caught up with the latest Liberty release. The shame! But I was quickly kicked into action when I saw Tilly's pussy bow blouse (in colourway B) and Anna's top. Both reminded me how much I liked this print.   
Liberty Art Fabrics Oxford A Tana Lawn Cotton
Here is the print story from Liberty:

'What is the use of a design collection', thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversations'. And in another moment she was considering how in the world to create one.'
'Pictures and Conversations' celebrates the 150th anniversary of the first publication of Lewis Carroll's 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'. Both design and colour were inspired by pictures and conversations within 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' and 'Through the Looking Glass' and experiences related to them.

Oxford Liberty fabric is inspired by a trip to Oxford and is created from Liberty scarves from the late 1960s. These have been blended with personal experiences obtained when the in-house design studio were fortunate enough to have a private guided ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’ tour around Christ Church water meadows and the streets of Oxford, lead by expert and author Mark Davies.

'Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do.' – Lewis Carroll

The print is not for the faint hearted, so it wasn't immediately obvious to me what I would make up. My love affair for the Clean and Natural peplum hasn't cooled and I have been thinking for a long time of making the Gathered Blouse from She has a Mannish Style (aka She Wears the Pants) so my mind started playing with the two patterns. I didn't want anything too complicated with this fabric, but I was yearning for a little bit of interest.
Alove child blouse between the two patterns was born. I used the bodice and sleeves from Clean and Natural with the hem line and sleeve cuffs from the Gathered Blouse. I did just a simple pleat on the sleeve. 
The back closes with a self covered button. I think I probably could have provided a little more length, but this seems to be an achilles heel as I'm constantly saying that about the length of my tops. As a result it has a teeny tiny hem.
I really like this and wore it with skinnier pants for work on Wednesday, where I think it was a winner.  A bit short yes maybe, but a winner nonetheless. I just can't get enough of the dropped sleeves and high neckline of this pattern.  But for now I'll have to park this pattern as I have a CBR frocktails dress to dream up.

29 comments:

  1. Dear Queen of Japanese patterns mash-ups & Liberty... I curtsy slowly & deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I've made the Mannish blouse. Been dying to blog it!
    You've done a lovely job with a gorgeous fabric. You are the queen of love children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thou art gorgeous in thy top. Too divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly, these photos are divine. Secondly, the swing in this top is perfect! I love that hemline and the dropped shoulders! I just love it full stop. I think the length is spot on. Can't wait to see what you dream up for Frocktails. Are you going super dressy/special?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such crazy psychedelic fabric. Love the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great print and lovely shape for the top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's easy to say this about every Liberty/Kirsty combination but I just love this! That fabric is such gorgeous colours and I love this style of top, particularly those dropped shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!! That fabric is just too good. Love how you show it off with your frankenpattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SeamsOddLouise.Blogspot.comMay 1, 2015 at 12:45 AM

    I am in love this is beautiful. The colour and the shape of the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monserratt LopezMay 1, 2015 at 8:56 AM

    I think we're all in LOVE with this shirt!! So beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfectly paired with the dark trousers, I do love this print, and this colour way ;) Gorgeous shirt

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful fabric! I love what you have done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks. I was happy when it worked out as I'd hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sallie. Sometimes a frankenpattern just works!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's the dropped shoulders that does it for me evertime. It's such an easy shape to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh, my frocktails dress is a bit of a stress. I'm just not sure at all what I"ll do and whether I'll find any fabric - aaaaaaah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been patiently waiting for you to blog the top!! Please please please blog it soon so I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Anna, I think we both love a bit of a liberty Japanese mash up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a gorgeous print! these simple shapes are just perfect for showcasing prints. how are those cuffs made - they have a very interesting impact on the drape of the sleeve

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't get enough of this print! You're quite brave for taking it on a full-garment ride! Also, love these flowy, full tops on you; you rock them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty fabric - the colours suit you very well.

    ReplyDelete