FINISHED! Turia Dungarees/overalls

I am bombarding your inboxes this week but I have another fun finished outfit to share and I couldn't wait any longer. I've been lucky enough to once again test for Pauline Alice.  Last year I tested the Carme blouse and this time around it's a pair of overalls / dungarees the Turia!
Pauline has style. Seriously! I didn't realise I needed a pair of overalls in my wardrobe until now.  I I love these overalls, they are cute and just so so wearable and they make me feel like I'm back at university :)
Let's talk about the details. I had a week to sew up this test version so I bought some chambray from Addicted to Fabric (yes the leftovers went into my Top Victor).  I was a bit nervous as I haven't made that many pants and there is a lot of topstitching on these, including new to me flat felled seams.  You know I love to hide my sewing in print, but I knew that if I wanted to make something that I would want to wear after testing (assuming they worked out) then they would have to be in chambray.
 
I made a size up to what I usually make (I was worried unnecessarily about the fit at my waist). The fit is spot on and there is a nice bit of room in the waist. The overalls close with a normal zip on each side (but you could easily do an invisible if you wanted - not me!) but I only need to use one for getting in and out.  I didn't make any other changes to the fit.  During testing I made a minor suggestion that the pockets could be a bit bigger on the bottom.
Overalls look like a complicated make, but I was surprised at how easily they came together. There are a few pattern pieces, lots of topstiching  but it was methodical and actually a fun make.  And I was pretty excited as well to hammer on my first bit of hardware.

Many of the seams are flat felled and the pattern comes with some simple instructions on how to do them. I found getting the stitching nice and even difficult on the flat felled seams, even with my edge stitching foot, but overall I'm pretty proud of the make and the stitching is pretty good. I used a twin needle whenever I could on the pockets.

The only area of issue was in the crotch stitching of the flat felled seam...but no one is going to see that.  Oh and I stupidly cut a small hole into the front seam of the pocket as I was flat felling. Doh.
I really like this pattern  and I'm so happy that this version worked out. I've already braved cold weather to wear these a few times with my boots and I am getting them ready for a high spring rotation. By far my favourite combination is the Pauline Alice double: turia overalls and carme blouse

54 comments:

  1. They look super cute on you! When I think overalls, I usually think of my dad in his greasy work gear or this older preggy woman I knew several years back who fell back on her 80's maternity gear after a long baby gap. I thought I was scarred for life, but I quite like your version. I might be swayed yet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! They look ace on you. I'm now seriously wondering if I need a pair in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love overalls and you've done an expert job! Beautiful top stitching!! I'll have to make a pair!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AGH I love them! Well done, Kirsty! They clearly go well with quite a few of your tops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I love them and want some now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so great! That's wonderful that they gave you the opportunity to try so many new techniques. I've set aside some fabric for overalls but have yet to do anything about it. :( I was definitely an AVID overalls enthusiast growing up, but never wore them with such pretty and grown-up tops! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are super cute! When I heard she was putting out an overalls pattern I was kinda "hmmm..." but your pair has now convinced me on the style - love 'em! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooohhh!!! I LOVE these!! I didn't know I need overalls until now! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great fun. Makes me really nostalgic. What a nice pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't these overalls look amazing? You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my. Adorable. You may have just convinced me to make a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am definitely making these! You are rocking them. What weight is the chambray?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes these definitely look very cute on you. Who would have thunk dungarees could look so chic?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your wardrobe is a seriously cool place. I love these paired with the rusty-red coloured pussy-bow blouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for being such an awesome tester Kirsty and for making such a stylish and beautiful pair of Turia dungarees!!! I'm delighted to see them styled in a wintery look, they look so great with your blouses and the striped T-shirt. Love your denim version!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to say that although i love what the dungas look like in the photos, they are actually even better in real life. Honestly folks, when this woman walked into the coffee shop wearing these she just looked so fucking cool, i was in AWE. Top make sista xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for such a cool pair of dungarees! I think that everybody need a pair to play and to work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love this pattern and can't wait to wear it more. It seems that you unleashed the inner dungaree wearer in all of us! Thanks again for asking me to test.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You should! I'm not exactly sure of the technical weight but it's just a normal medium weight. They would be great in denim, but for spring I thought chambray would be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you do!! We'll all be wearing them this spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are a great pattern. Pauline is very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, it's definitely a trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know! I was exactly the same - now I just want to wear them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Here's your chance to make some overalls and revist your overall loving youth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Morgan - my photos are a bit of a 'fashion shoot' aren't they! But I have sooo many tops that could go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think they would be awesome on you! i feel like they are a bit of a departure for me as well, but they are just so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think you do and they would look great with your fab range of scouts underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ha I do know what you mean. I couldn't stop singing 'come on Eileen' as I was making them. I do think you could be swayed though...

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would love to make a pair but I will probably use something I have already.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These dungarees are the best! I love the cuffed look :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wish I could still wear dungarees. My last successful attempt was in 1975! Love your version and also want to complement on the growth in your sewing skills over the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I know I commented on Instagram but just have to say again how cool you look in these! You really have done a great advert for overalls - convincing so many of us that we need a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I will never be convinced about overalls, I would look like a grotesquely overgrown toddler, but you girl! You rock these! You just keep smashing your projects right out of the ball park.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ack!! I keep coming back to look at these, like everyone else I didn't know I needed overalls until I saw you looking so awesome in yours! Of course I wore them a lot in my younger years ;) may have to make a pair for winter, these are just great!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! I'm surprised that I like these....really like them! I haven't worn overalls since the early nineties. So cute, especially rolled up!

    ReplyDelete
  36. just gorgeous! I only discovered your blog today, but i have to say that i adore your style (and love affair with Liberty). Looking forward to exploring some of the pattern companies you have used!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh Kirsty, awesome overalls and you look super cute!! I haven't worn overalls since I was 16... I had a bright red pair which I wore with a navy blue Tshirt, my hair in a high pony and 3 tiny tinsel stars glued to each cheekbone, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I hope you have the pattern for these. You would look great in them !

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think they are perfect for fall so you should get making them :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I hadn't worn overalls since then either at uni! And probably I shouldn't be wearing them either, but they are just so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks so much for finding me. I hope you hang around :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ha ha ha I love the idea of you with those stars.

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are so cute on you! You really suit them. Just found your blog via Busy Lizzie in Brizzy ;-)

    ReplyDelete