FINISHED! An Undercover in Spencer

I'm back from holidays and you'll all be pleased to know that the flamingo pants got worn quite a bit and now I just wait impatiently for summer weather here in Canberra so I can wear them here! I haven't sewn for weeks now, but lucky I had a quickie that I sewed up before I left that I can show you.
I bought this fabric, 'Spencer' from Addicted to Fabric back in June and sewed it up that weekend while watching Mr Selfridge season 3 episodes. At the time they had it in 3 colourways, blue, maroon and green. I'm not sure they have any left?  It is a great fabric 80% poly, 20% wool that is a bit 'speckled' quilted, with a poly underling (?).   Of course it's impossible to photograph. Sadly I have also had some problems with the fabric catching, causing me to have long poly threads wrapping around me like a spiders web. I suspect and hope that this is just me and my watch and bangle? It does seem to have settled down.
The pattern is a no brainer. It's the Papercut Patterns Undercover Sweater made without the hood and without the neck binding or cuffs.  I love this pattern and I've made it up here, here and my favourite most worn one here.
The sleeves turned out shorter than I had intended to make them because I didn't add enough on to make up for the lack of cuffs and the turn up on the stitched line, but otherwise it all went to plan. All the hems are simple turned and twin stitched.

It's quite cropped but this works well with some of my blouses and it has suddenly breathed new life into a WIP that has been stashed languishing for many weeks in a bag. It might just be the perfect top to wear with it so I might have a reason to finish it off!
By the way: Underneath the Undercover in Spencer, is a old top from the Nani Iro book: Nani IRO C with self drafted collar in PICARDIE B from the Liberty Art Fabrics Spring Summer 2012 Central Saint Martins collection.
This print was designed by Phil Kim and was inspired by the film ,‘A Clockwork Orange.’ The top does normally sit properly, with the collar even, but I didn't realise until after the photos were taken that it was sitting to one side... oh well.

8 comments:

  1. Great staple piece and I love the cropped look. I'm intrigued to hear what your WIP is. On a slightly different note, what Brand/style are your jeans? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great! I thought of you on Sunday at the Bowie exhibition - there's a quilted Liberty jumpsuit, also inspired by A Clockwork Orange that Bowie used to call Ultraviolence in Liberty. You'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing better than some lovely quilted fabric. It's the perfect pairing for the Liberty blouse you're wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking quilted fabric and it looks great layered with your liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great styling. I was thinking about a quilted jacket for the fall (Coco style), but now your quilted top is a more original option. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you can guess what my wip is.. starts with c and rhymes with lots! My jeans are from country road and they are the navy jeans ( I think they are called jeggings!?#$) but they are great and comfy and if I had the money I'd buy 5 pairs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so nice! i love the qulited look of the fabric, and your shirt underneath :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SeamsOddLouise.Blogspot.comJuly 26, 2015 at 8:57 AM

    This cropped length is an amazing look for you. So stylish, the quilted fabric gives a great texture. Fab.

    ReplyDelete