FINISHED! Splattered Turia Dungafores

A few weeks ago the very lovely Mel was visiting Canberra and a few of us were lucky enough to catch up with her for a little bit of local shopping at Addicted to Fabric. It had been a while (days? weeks?) since I'd been to Addicted to Fabric and so there was quite a few new pieces of fabric to peruse. The one that caught my eye was this one called Ricochet. (97% cotton, 3% spandex). At first I thought I'd make a dress out of it, but it is quite thick and very quickly my mind turned to the pinafore dungaree, which Pauline had just done a tutorial out of the Turia pattern. Egged on by Amanda's new coined phrase, the dungafore, I was on my way, crossing off the current trends of painted fabric and overalls all in one hit.
This week I finally got around to making them.  Well, correction, this week I became obsessed with making them. Every night I sewed for hours, quietly chipping away at them, fluctuating from love to fear back to love. Would they be too 'out there', 'not age appropriate', blah blah blah. Now they are finished I love them. (Although after looking at a lot of photos taken of me wearing them I wish I'd got that print placement a bit better in the front !!! Damn!)
I made this pattern, the Turia up in the long version previously as a tester.  I love those and wear them on the weekend heaps, but it's not my best sewing so on these I made sure that the stitching on these is much sturdier. I ensured that I overlocked every edge, rather than just folding and stitching.
I also cheated a little bit and I only did fake flat felled seams: stitching the seams together, overlocking then double stitching in place. This is easier but the main reason was that I can get a much neater finish on the outside with my twin needle.
I like my dungarees a bit loose so after reading that Sasha (via Ninie (who also made the cutest pair of short dungarees)) didn't need a zipper in hers I decided that I didn't either. They pull on easily because of the stretch in the fabric.
Pauline in her tutorial reminds you to add extra length onto the pattern if you are making a pinafore, but clearly I didn't add enough on.  Ben liked it the length it was, but it just seemed way too short, even for me who doesn't mind showing the old pins.  I rectified this afterwards, with a design feature additional panel to make them more a decent length!
I am super happy with my dungafores (print placement aside) and cannot wait for the weekend to come around so that I can wear them, with any number of striped tops in my wardrobe(!), my favourite neutral, before this fad disappears.

54 comments:

  1. I love these! You are way cooler than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are fantastic! You look super cool. And I really like the design feature - I thought it was intentional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok that's it I'm officially stealing your entire wardrobe. This look so good, that fabric is so great and it pair it with an almost workwear style silhouette makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the hem panel was an intentional piece. Great fabric. Great dress:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I said on IG this is a fabulous fabric / pattern match - perfect! Great stitching too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are super cool ... I love the way the panel you used to lengthen it intervenes in the fabric print acting like a sort of counterpoint! and I can understand why you might not like the pattern placement down the front but I think the hem panel compensates for it - so nice job, I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh the tricky print placement! I flubbed that up lots! Looks great and though I'm sure you and your pins could pull off a shorter skirt, nice save adding the panel to the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the coolest kid on the block. I love the whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! I actually thought the bottom panel was intentional until I read otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. DUNGAFORES!!!!
    The reality is even better than I had imagined. Freaking rad, KB!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the panel, in fact I think it balances out the dungafores really well. You ar rocking that print and it looks great over your stripey top! Dungafores to the fore!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that your dungafores are a high end interpretation of a sexy female leads' painters overalls in a hollywood movie - I would never have splattered paint so appropriately, though our leading lady clearly has - these are fun, and fun is good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are perfect. And I love the bottom panel too. Super cool! I'm thinking for your next pair, you could shorten the hem even more...ie to *drop waist* level and add a skirt panel. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah! I love these! What a fun make and an even more fun look!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kirsty, I should just make a permanent weekly What's Doing with Top Notch feature. This is fricking amazing. I love this pattern and this fabric combo is making me melt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These really turned out - I can't believe you had doubts! I kind of want to steal them...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dang! Hot.. Love love the fabric. I can see dungafores in the wardrobe..

    Brill job. I too thought the panel was intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Go the dungafore (I hope you've trademarked that otherwise you're going to be in trouble with Amanda)!


    I love this outfit - I think the fabric is so fun and it looks great with the stripes. I like the panel you've added to make it a tad longer. You always look bang on trend to me and I don't think you should worry if things are "age appropriate"....if they are Kirsty appropriate that is ALL that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gah! So cute. At first I thought it said 'Splattered TUNA' lol. Either way, these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I saw that at A2F, thought it was lovely but didn't know what I'd do with it. You've made the perfect outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh this is so pretty! You have an eye for unusual fabrics and making them into the coolest clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Barbara! I've gone a bit out there with it.. I'd love to know what other people are making with it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha ha ha .. love it. Will be calling these my splattered tunas from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Mel and thanks for your support in making me buy this fabric! You are right. If it's Kirsty appropriate, that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Heather! Thank you so much. You are such a sweetie for your top notch love.

    ReplyDelete
  26. YES!!! Why didn't I think of that? It could be a bit too much to have 3 overall variations in the wardrobe ... or not.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ha ha ha, love this comment. Clearly out leading lady knows what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree and in hindsight, I'm so glad I ended up having to attach the panel. Dungafores to the fore!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Anna! Not sure about kid, but giving the youngsters a run for their money!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gah, the damn placement! We so over analyse our made makes so much more than bought pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Sasha. I wasn't going to say anything because I think it only draws attention, but I hope, most people will only be taking a fleeting glance!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Emma! I'd love to know what other people are using this fabric for!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Only if we swap shoes. You won't find many plain pieces of fabric in my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks Rachel, yes that design feature turned out so much better than I anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very fun. And if you do get sick of them as a pinafore you could easily convert it to a skirt and get a whole lot more wear. But gorgeously fun as a pinny!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So cute ! They look great on you and I love them with the striped top. Your hair looks really cute too (-:

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Kirsty !!!! I finally found how to write a comment on your blog !!!! :)))
    So. I love the fabric and you are so chic on your Pinafore dungaree !!!! In french, we say : "tu as vraiment du style" !!!! I hope we will meet when you come in Paris !

    ReplyDelete
  38. They look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks Sarah! I feel as if they might not last me too many seasons so turning them into a skirt might be a good idea. For now, I'm loving the pinny!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks Carrie! My hair is such a random thing. Every day is a little different :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Merci Ninie! Je vais souvien ca! Maintentant, si seulement je peut fait le comment sur ton blog!! Aarrrggh. Bises x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Kirsty, these are so cool! I LOOOVE the dungafores and how awesome is that print?? completely awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great dungafore! I really like the hem band. It adds interest.
    Don't worry too much about pattern placement.
    People don't really notice unless you tell them.

    ReplyDelete