FINISHED! On the Line Veste Michelle

This project has been hanging around so long I wasn't sure I would ever do it. But I finally just knuckled down and did it. It is of course the Veste Michelle by Republique du Chiffon.  It is made using some denim stripe that I bought at Tessuti in January called 'It's on the Line'.  It's lined with some cheap yellow lining (the same as my Bomber). On the advice from my friend Jen (who has a great new blog btw!!), I turned the fabric around so that the stripes run sideways. I was worried that because there is a bit of stretch in the fabric that it might distort but so far so good. 
There are heaps of great versions out there of the Veste Michelle and if you ever decide to make a Republique du Chiffon pattern a great place to stop by is the RdC Made by You blog. It goes without saying that Julie has made one, well 4!! lovely versions in fact and Ginger Makes also made one.  
So, straight up, I'm not sure if I'm wearing the jacket or it's wearing me. It's a straight size 36 with no adjustments. It's supposed to be oversized and it is definitely that helped along by my height.  I debated making it smaller but on all the versions I saw they were reasonably oversized, just not as long perhaps as mine. I feel that it's ok when I'm accessorised up with my every day winter additions of beret and scarf, but without them, I'm not sure that it's balanced. I need to play around with some Spring styling. It's a bit of a different style for me, although despite that reservation I like it. I wore it as photographed this morning to a 6 yr old birthday party and I have to say those oversized pockets were fantastic for popping lolly pops and things in. 

I cheated a bit on the patch pockets.  The pattern calls for you to line them but I didn't.  I feel patch pockets are very 'home made' looking but I hope these look ok. I double stitched around them. There is no pocket placement on the pattern piece (that I could find) so I just winged their placement. I've noticed on other makes that their pockets are about the same place as mine. Phew. I omitted the tiny pocket on the top because I felt it didn't look right. 
The printed pattern is in French but there are detailed (French) instructions including photos on the RdC blog  These were both a hindrance and a help and some bits (like the collar) I should have worked through myself rather than trying to decipher the at times odd google translate description. Despite that it is a straightforward make and the lining comes together nicely.  The best I've ever done!
The only real problem I had was 'drooping' of the back facing once the lining was in.  There were some photos of this on the RdC blog but I couldn't understand what I was supposed to do to fix it. I ended up hand stitching the bottom facing to the back under the lining in places.  It solved the problem but I'd love to know what the real solution is! What do you do for the back of jackets to stop the bottom facing 'drooping' down?
So, it's good to have this one finished and wearable! It might even get quite a bit of wear as the weather moves from mid winter to very early spring.  I'm still fixated with Winter sewing at the moment, it might have something to do with the weather, but it's also because we'll be spending 6 weeks in France over Christmas - so double Winter for us this year!  

48 comments:

  1. Oh it's lovely! It's very chic and so wearable. I'm sure you'll appreciate it's throw-on-ability. Love the horizontal stripes too, good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great in this outfit! The horizontal stripes work so well that I cannot imagine them going vertically :) I think you're going to get lots of wear out of this jacket, it's very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsty I think it looks great, and I agree with the other comment that you'll get heaps of wear out of it! It's an unusual length, and I suppose it's all in the semantics, but I'd consider it a lightweight coat rather than a jacket..... I am totally with you on patch pockets, which is what led me to do my crazy round ones on my denim laurel, but if think yours look great with the length. It'll be wonderful in spring, and you've done a beautiful job as always. And again thankyou for my lovely book, there's some beautiful patterns in there that I must add to my never ending queue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is the perfect jacket - covers the bum and the shoulders, and looks great to boot! I can see you getting heaps of wear out of this one Kirsty. Oh - love the horizontal stripe action - that Jen is a genius huh !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great! Those little stripes are so perfect and I love the oversized look. To me, it looks like you got the fit just perfect for what you want, and your tailoring looks pretty impressive. Very sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is awesome. it looks great on you. i really like the oversized look but fear that this would eat my short frame :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much! I am only about 5 foot 2" (158cm??) so it gives you an idea of it on me. I was worried about it eating my frame as well but I think it is all in the styling and now that I've had a day of throwing it on and throwing things into those ginormous pockets I love it. It would look great with a pair of Hudson pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabric. The jacket looks great on you. You will definitely get lots of wear. I appreciate the details and the links.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so ready for France in that jacket! I've done some men's tailoring in the past, and we would cross stitch the hem facing to the jacket before adding the lining (also finished by hand - lots of hand sewing!), but it seems to me from the RdC blog that you did pretty much what they suggested - I was curious and looked it up! The joys of sewing - if it turns out how you'd like, it's a win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!! I think the oversized fit is spectacular on you! Plus, cool weather is ALL about the layering and accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for checking out the RdC post for me and it's good to know I sort of did the right thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Janet, yes I think I'll get quite a bit of wear out of this - the pockets alone make it a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Debbie. I bought so many lovely pieces back in January that I was glad that I was able to make this one into something wearable and that I know will get a lot of use.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't she!! The more I wear this the more I love it's coverage and it's ease of just slipping on. I'm glad the A2F ladies made me buy a slippery lining - it really makes a difference when putting things on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, I think it is a lightweight coat and will come into it's own in spring. So glad you like the book and can find something in there that you'd like to make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that scarf is my favourite thing. It's so big and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Erin, yes I agree I cannot even imagine it now with the stripes going the other way.. it would alter the total look of the jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It totally has that 'throw-on ability'! perfect word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a big fan of oversized garments and this really works on you. Loving the yellow lining as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The oversized fit looks great and I love the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You'll be totally booted and suited with your RdC makes for your 6 week (!) trip to France later in the year. You lucky lucky thing. It's a beautiful make as always Kirsty, but I hear what you're saying about proportions. I think perhaps it's the length, and given your height that's not surprising :) but the width wise slouch is great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great make - the lining is fantastic (as is the outside, but you know...yellow)! I think the oversize style looks great how you've styled it...with skinny pants and boots. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it looks great without the accessories too - really nice clean lines. At least in your photos it doesn't look long to me, just intentionally oversized. And love the yellow lining!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this - it is long on you, but not in a bad way. I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this on you! I think the fit is perfectly oversized :) these type of jackets are perfect to throw on and instantly make an outfit look chic. I thought of you yesterday- we went in a brand new fabric store here and they have TONS of Liberty fabric, including the silk...so gorgeous! On my Gerard coat I did the facing the same as you did here (I think), just hand stitched it to the outside after everything else was finished. I am sure there must be other methods but it worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kirsty, this is freaking rad! OMG I kinda want to style stalk this jacket... :D Loving the horizontal stripes and the colour pop. Looking fierce!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it! I really did the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so good! I was ready to love it and then I spied the yellow lining and I was head over heels! bright lining is a favourite of mine, it's like a little present to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Six weeks in France... quelle bonheur! Are you staying in one place or traveling around? I'm personally really into the length and look of this jacket. I could see it with some leggings and cool heeled sandals for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I absolutely love this Kirsty!! I agree with Morgan, the length looks pretty perfect. That's exciting about France!
    Any chance you'll make it over/under the channel to the uk?!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Sallie! I agree, it is all about layering!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks Alex. I'm really starting to get into, wearing it already a few times this week.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Barbara. That good old yellow lining... really need to branch out!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks Jillian. I've got more used to the length but I think if I did it again, I'd take a tiny bit off it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks Melanie. I think this will get a lot of wear come some warmer weather as well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. As long as it looks 'intentional' that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I drooled over your instagram shots of that shop! did you buy?? I wondered whether you did the same with Gerard... good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Go on - you'd look great in this. the stripes are all thanks to that wonder Jen - I might have been too worried about grain to turn it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh I love that 'a little present to yourself'.

    ReplyDelete
  40. We will be staying mainly in Strasbourg with Ben's family but a week skiing and a week in Paris... doesn't sound too bad :) I absolutely agree re the leggings and sandals!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would love to make it over the channel and if I ever do I'll be calling you up!!! Sadly I don't think we'll get there this time but we come over to France regularly to visit family so a visit to the UK surely can't be far away. And plus I really need to visit Liberty!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I didn't buy any this time- I wanted to wait until I had a specific project, so I could get the right amount without over buying...but the silk feels heavenly, I'll definitely do it sometime! We have three shops here now that carry Liberty!

    ReplyDelete
  43. You are definitely wearing it! I love this boxy style on you. Perfect fabric and lining choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks Amy, I have worn this a lot so even if it is wearing me I don't care. Oh and that is just about the end of the January shopping stash!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow. This is so much better than RTW. Great style choice. I love the lining. I just love this jacket really. You've done an excellent job Kirtsy.

    ReplyDelete